Monday, February 4, 2008

Across the Universe

As quoted from MSNBC:
"On February 4, 2008, at 7:00 p.m. EST, NASA will beam "Across The Universe" to the star Polaris, 431 light years away. This is being done to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the song, the 45th anniversary of the Deep Space Network, and the 50th anniversary of NASA. The idea was hatched by Beatles' historian Martin Lewis, who encourages all Beatles fans to play the track as it is being beamed to the distant star. Additionally, this date will be known as "Across the Universe Day". The event marks the first time a radio song has been beamed into deep space, and was approved by Paul McCartney, Yoko Ono, and Apple."

Just thought I'd share. I thought this was awesome! Anyway, sitting at school. Should be doing homework but I thought I'd post up a brief update. It seems like lately I've been in a sort of indie experimental mood so that's what I've been finding lately. I'll throw a few more bands your way.


Russian Circles is a two man instrumental band hailing from Chicago. Dave Turncrantz takes Drums and Mike Sullivan is on Guitar. These boys are on tour with Dälek and Red Sparowes in the very near future. If they are playing near you make the effort to pick up a ticket and enjoy their music. Quoted from Decoy Music:


"Those who have yet to experience Russian Circles can expect to be dazzled by a band that can plough through riffs and drums comparable to Mastodon but end up making an album full of music you actually want to play in your home at the end of the day I don’t know what more I can say about this band really, they’ve got all the bases covered… If you like Red Sparowes but want it cranked to eleven then go no further but if you are more interested in twinkling guitars and thoughtful interludes then they can provide that too – and damn it I couldn’t make it through the whole review without mentioning Explosions in The Sky; "You Already Did" sounds very influenced by the Texan quartet. In short I cannot recommend this enough, usually I’m into the much more orchestral/classical/'pretty' end of all things post-rock but these guys from Chicago have won me over."

Links:





The Gersch is sort of like a thrash metal band. Loud and roaring. And off the beaten path. Don't have a lot of info on these guys really. Just stumbled across them on myspace. Give them a listen.

Links:

That's all for now. I've got to focus on school for now. Happy Monday (bah humbug!!!).



P.S. - For all you Thrice fans out there (like me) last month the band gave us the date which Vols. III & IV drop... April 15, 2008. The date will be here sooner than you think. So be excited! Cause I said so. haha!

1 comment:

-D said...

so if your into indie music let me give you some recomendations
Stabilo
Thirteen Senses
Travis
Homer Hiccolm and The Rocketboys
Hotel Lights
Matt Nathanson
Northstar
Bethany Joy Lenz
The Church
The Headlights
The Coral Sea
The Headphones
Pedro the Lion
The Hush Sound
Jason Webley
Joshua Radin
Schuyler Fisk
Blue-Eyed Son
Kate Voegele
Leigh Nash
Peter and the Wolf
The Perishers
Reeve Carney
Ross Copperman
these are just some of my favs it was good stumbling on your blog check mine out some time